I love my running buddies. I honestly don’t think I could train for this marathon without my running buddies. Running certainly wouldn’t be the same great experience without them. I never thought I would like running with a group, but it has become one of the things I love most. I often compare it to soldiers in boot camp. You’re all in it together; the good, the bad and the ugly, your buddies are there for you the end, encouraging and motivating, cheering you on, your champions. And it feels even better to give it back. I love the connection runners have with one another. It’s like an instant connection, a kindred spirit, a special bond.
Who inspires you to run?
Who inspires me? Running buddy Michael Gaudet!
Had a great beach cottage day visiting our long-time friends Michael and Faye with the whole gang. If any of you are Island runners there’s a very good chance you know our friend, endurance runner extraordinaire, Michael Gaudet. Michael wanted to join me on my run. Talk about intimidated! I mean this guy can run! He’s done a wack of marathons including Boston, and is training for a 276km, non-stop PEI tip-to-tip run in the fall. He didn’t even mention the fact that he swam 6km in the ocean waves only minutes before our run. The guy’s incredible.
Super gracious, he ran my hill training with me and coached me along the way. I learned so much. I learned that only about 30% of my running ability will come from the physical. The remaining 70% is split between diet and rest. I have a lot of work to do in those areas. We talked a lot about shoes as well. He has shoes so light they seem to float above your hands when you hold them. And when you do the math of carrying the extra ounces of a heavier shoe over 42.2 km it’s astounding how much extra weight I’m lugging around with me. It’s really a matter of trimming every little extra bit of this and that, the accumulation of which adds up to easier runs overall.
Hill training with Michael Gaudet in Thunder Cove after a beautiful afternoon with the family at the beach. Life is so so good. Lucky me.
Who inspires me? My marathon training gang.
I ran my 29km twice and felt great. The best runs I’ve had in a long time. I felt really strong. I found myself using Michael’s advice about form, keeping my head up, dangling my arms and loosening up every little while, and chi running by letting gravity do some of the work. It made a big difference. Now for some lighter shoes. I feel great and I couldn’t have done it without my running buddies! Here are some of our group after our 29km. I love these gals!
Who inspires me? My sister Christine.
She has never been a runner, but she is now! At 50 years old, after having lost 66 pounds, Christine has made the transition from walking to running and I’m so proud of her. Losing 66 pounds is way harder than any marathon! Here we are lacing up to go running together for the very first time, (check out my new Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12s) and a photo of Christine, my brother-in-law Paul and I after our 10km walk/run. It was great. We did awesome!
Hit the 1000km milestone this week. Woot!
I’m going through shoes like never before. Here are my beloved Asics Kayano Gel 17s ready to be retired after about 500km of training. They have been awesome! Once white, they have NO tread left and my toes have broken through. I guess it’s time. I have worn Asics for many years but I’m looking for a lighter, lower running shoe now. After researching shoes on the Internet and trying on so many pairs, I ended up with my first ever pair of Brooks shoes. I think I spent more time and anguish choosing my new running shoes than I did choosing my wedding dress.
Get your buddy on!
PEI has a number of great running groups filled with potential buddies. You might feel a bit intimidated thinking these groups are filled with elite runners and you’ll feel out of place, but the truth is running groups are full of people just like you and me and they’d love to have you join them! So please check them out. There’s something for everyone!
Are you another running group on PEI not listed here? Please contact me!
If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? ~ T.S. Eliot
How’s your running going?
Do you run alone or in a group?
What do your running buddies mean to you?
I want to know!
Photographer, Designer, Social Media Hound, WordPress Lover, Happiness Bully, Creative Junkie, Runner, Hobby Farmer, Blogger. Not necessarily in that order ; )
Live Happy ; )
Leave a Reply